Jesus said, "This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it." John 11:4



You Are Not Alone!

We started this blog as a support to those families in Arkansas and around the country who are faced with raising a child with a life-altering eosinophilic disorder. It has been estimated that one out of 3,000 people have been diagnosed with an eosinophilic disorder. Children suffering from eosinophilic disorders have a myriad of problems. Some of which include: vomiting, diarrhea, feeding refusal, malnutrition, difficulty swallowing, and failure to thrive, just to name a few.

Could you imagine a life without food? For these children, that is a very real possibility. Many of them are on a very restrictive diet of special elemental formula. Those fortunate enough to still be eating foods are very limited as to what they can eat, and still have to drink an elemental formula to maintain a nutritionally complete diet. Not only do these kids have a restrictive diet, but many of them have feeding tubes and endure several surgeries and procedures. These children show us parents incredible strength and endurance! It is our hope that other families dealing with this disease realize they are not alone, and that more people will become aware of this disease. Hopefully this blog will be a support to those living with eosinophilic disorders.

NOTE: House Resolution 296 passed in 2007 declaring the third week of May, National Eosinophil Awareness Week.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Inhaler Propellant and Corn Allergies

Just FYI, if your child is using an inhaler and doesn't seem to be getting better after the treatment; and in fact seems worse, it could be the propellant. Abigail uses an Albuterol nebulizer at home as needed, and if she happens to need a little help with her breathing while we are out and about, we used an Albuterol inhaler. Both Albuterol, they should be the same right? Wrong. Abigail also happens to be very allergic to corn...did you know that most inhalers use ethanol (a by-product of corn) as the propellant? This would explain why time after time we would use the inhaler and I would swear that it was making her worse. Because it was! Of coarse, I countered myself by saying that couldn't possibly be since she used the nebulizer and responded well to treatments. It finally got to the point that more times than not we were counteracting the inhaler with the nebulizer until one day, I happened to catch the word "ethanol" on this side of the inhaler. By the way, Xopenex also uses ethanol as the propellant. We now have a portable nebulizer that travels where ever we go, and we haven't had any problems since. I figured I wasn't the only one who didn't know about the ethanol, and wanted to spread the word to you other mom's and dad's who might be experiencing similar scenarios.

3 comments:

crystal said...

Wow thank you Lisa very much for that great information!My other two children have both the meds you are talking about and my daughter is actually getting food tested at the end of the month and if she is allergic to corn well her med will be no good for her! and if Lillie ever has to take them I will remember that!I actually didnt even know that word or what it ment!so really I need to be checking what words mean on labels if I have no idea!thank you so much!

wskoie1 said...

Thank you for this information. Over the last week I have had severe allergies myself to my albuterol and qvar inhalers and think I finally understand why. I will also be getting a portable nebulizer. You are doing a real service with this post. God Bless. Kristina Baldwin

Kytriya said...

I use Ventolin HFA Inhaler. It doesn't contain Ethanol, which I react to. I'm not allergic to corn, but I react to anything "alcohol". I did contact them and asked them if their inhaler contained Ethanol, so that they would be reminded that some people need Corn/alcohol free.

http://www.ventolin.com/

Most HFA inhalers do use Ethanol, because of the Federal law that requires them to not use CFC. It was an environmental issue law that forgot to remember those of us with allergies. The law is from 2007 and is still on the books.

I hope this helps you. My friend used to be on a Nebuliser. I wouldn't want to carry that around all day. But, I we do what we have to do. We used to have to carry her's with because her inhaler didn't always work. But at the time we didn't know she was reacting to gluten.